What’s special about this cake?
Ground cinnamon is great tasting in desserts. The aroma of cinnamon is sweet, exotic and fragrant, just as its taste is sweet and warm. Blackberries are rich in Vitamin C, which helps our bodies to absorb iron. Pears are especially good at sweetening foods without adding extra sugar. A great source of Vitamin C as well!
Ingredients Serves 6
110 g butter
110 g soft brown sugar
110 g self raising flour
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
4 almost ripe pears
110 g blackberries
- Put the butter and brown sugar into a bowl and beat them together.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat in. Add the flour, cinnamon and fold them into the mixture.
- Peel, halve and core the pears. Sprinkle the blackberries with icing sugar.
- Pack the core space in each piece of pear with a few blackberries.
- Grease a 20cm diameter loose bottom cake tin. Arrange the pear halves in cake tin in a circle, spoon the cake mixture in between them and smooth the surface, stud gaps between pears with the remaining berries.
- Bake at 170C for 30-45 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with ice-cream or cream.
Alternatives to gluten, dairy, egg and sugar:
Dairy-free Sunflower spread
Or Dairy-free Soya spread
Date syrup or honey to taste
GF self raising flour
Egg alternative ideas:
1 tbsp ground flaxseed soaked in 3 tbsp water or ¼ cup pureed fruit (per egg)
As an alternative to icing sugar, use a light sprinkle of Xylitol.
Use soya cream to serve!