What’s special about these rock buns?
Vanilla is used as a pick-me-up! It is highly fragrant and exotic – delicious as well for sweetening without sugar. Chocolate tastes wonderful and the darker it is, the more your body is given a real iron boost! Chocolate makes you feel good but don’t over-eat!
Don’t forget that honey has medicinal and healing properties. Mixed with lemon and water, it can relieve sore throats. It is a wonderfully natural sweetener alternative
Ingredients Serves 12
80 g raisins/sultanas/chocolate chips
80 g caster sugar
220 g self raising flour
80 g butter
2 tbsp milk
Few drops vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C, grease a baking tray.
- In a large mixing bowl, rub the flour with the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar, fruit to the flour and mix with a fork.
- Break the egg into a cup and beat with a fork, then add vanilla essence
- Make a well in dry mixture and add an egg.
- Mix well until mixture becomes firm enough to shape but not dry. Add a little milk if too dry.
- Scoop tablespoon sized mounds on the baking tray, leaving them in rough chunks.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire tray and eat!
Alternatives to gluten, dairy, egg and sugar:
Gluten Free chocolate chips
Date syrup or honey to taste
Gluten Free self raising flour
Dairy-free Sunflower spread
Or Dairy-free Soya spread
Soya / rice milk
Egg alternative ideas:
1 tbsp ground flaxseed soaked in 3 tbsp water or ¼ cup pureed fruit (per egg)